Google Lens – Information at Your Fingertips Just Got Even Easier!
At this year’s Google I/O event held at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in California, Google announced some interesting updates added to its revolutionary Google Lens app.
Now, if you have never heard of or tried Google Lens, then you will be excited to know that it is currently available for download on Google Play and the App Store. Before you begin aiming your camera at everything in sight, however, it might help to know what you can expect from the software.
What Lies Behind the Magic?
What seems like rather simple technology is, in fact, astonishingly complex software processes that rely on a data-saturated neural network. In essence, Google Lens is an AI-driven application that uses deep learning to detect what an image is. Detection is not all the technology does – Google Lens has taken it one step further and now offers follow-up information and actions based on the visuals it snaps.
What Features Are Included?
After the Google I/O event, we learnt that Lens is rolling out a few new features that will add to an already remarkable experience. Altogether, you can expect the following functions when you download and install the latest version:
- Options based on text scanning: Now, you can point your camera at a word, address, or contact number, and relevant options will appear. This makes actions such as looking up a word or saving an email address far easier.
- Text selection: By aiming your camera at a word or sentence and highlighting what you want, you can copy the selection to your phone’s clipboard or even translate it.
- Information on places of interest: Want to know what the history behind a landmark is? With Google Lens, you simply aim and select the appropriate building.
- Finding products: If you see an outfit you like, Google Lens will allow you to discover similar (or the same) products for sale and help you compare prices. The same goes for everything from kitchenware to television sets.
- Barcode scanning: Faded labelling? Want to compare the prices of an item you see in store? Google Lens will scan the barcode and bring up relevant results.
- Menu selection: If you are trying out a new restaurant want to know what dish to order, Google Lens will show you images and reviews of popular meals to try.
- Split the bill: Another perk for culinary enthusiasts – aiming your camera at the establishment’s receipt allows Lens to calculate each diner’s payment automatically.
If all the above are not impressive enough, the San Francisco start-up company, Wescover announced in July that they would be collaborating with Google Lens to make local art more accessible to the public. What this means for the future of art is that people can now easily explore information on a design piece and its creator – helping struggling artists in their quest for recognition.
As a certified Google Partner, we like to stay abreast of the new and innovative technologies Google brings to the table – and keep you in the loop too. From online digital marketing strategies to search engine optimisation, we have you covered. We also cannot wait to see what else Google has in store for the world. As for the future? It seems we are already living there.
Need advice on how to make your online marketing perform better? Contact us today:
(012) 771 7640